cutest blog on the block

Friday, October 3, 2014

The Beauty and Courage in a New Song

My new favorite thing, including (or maybe because of) the struggle, is song writing.


I started taking guitar lessons because I'm a lifelong learner, and because my guitar was sitting in it's case sorely neglected. But really, because music heals my heart.  I was surrounded in ashes and needed something new.

I wrote my first song a little under a year ago after a retreat.  

....actually, the first was ages ago when I was still a student at LR.  I was soothing a toddler I was babysitting by singing songs about Jesus.  Out of the overflowing of my heart in that moment, a new melody and words formed themselves into a chorus.  

I was surprised when the words and melody came back to me 20 (some) years later.  I don't think I ever sang it again after that babysitting job, nor did I write it down.  

The Holy Spirit has consistently used song to woo me as a child, to love on me, to admonish me (another form of love), and to fill my heart with hope and purpose.  Music is most definitely my 'Love Language'.  It's how I relate to God. 

So it comes as no surprise to me that I'm beginning to share songs with the children on Wednesday nights.  

Haha!  Okay, that's kind of a lie.  I was *very* surprised when I felt promoted to write the first song.  It was no problem for me to prepare other people's songs to share with the children.   I didn't have time, with the intense busy-ness of the beginning of the school year, to work on a song.  But in the overflowing of my heart after worship one Sunday, I woke up from a nap with this song for September's memory verse. It literally wrote itself in like 5 minutes! (Psalm 86:15):  


Then came this little bluesy number for October (I definitely am in need of a lesson or three to make it work...). Joshua 1:9


I've had a ton of fun using scripture for lyrics.  I was in disbelief when one of the other leaders said that her kids watched my video over and over, and awe struck when I heard that a friend's daughter was overheard in the shower singing my song.  My heart was even struck silent when I realized that all 60 some kids at that Wednesday night program were singing my song *without* the words.  I suddenly understood how budding pop artists get so excited hearing their song on the radio for the first time.  

But do you want to know the BEST part of song writing?  The very best part?

It happened the other night.  An adorably precocious little girl - I'm guessing she's 5 or 6, with jet black hair, and a sparkle in her soulful eyes excitedly whispers to me "I know another song with those same words!"  Since I'm still "on stage" and we are about to transition to the next activity, I had to ask if she'll share it with me later.  Later didn't come until the very end of the evening.  Her mom had already come to pick her up.  

This precious one, whom God loves SO VERY much, proceeds to sing *her own* version of Joshua 1:9 - that she was apparently making up in that very moment as she was singing it.  

My awkward song ignited something in her.  She was enjoying God's Word, and was living out the very concept of Joshua 1:9.  Y'all, the melody was off key, had a random tempo, and yet, was the most beautiful thing I've ever heard.  

I love her childlike example of bravery.  I love how the Holy Spirit orchestrated that very moment.  

I'm wondering if the moral of this story is:  

Be bold, y'all.  Be courageous.   Risk relationships - because that's what songs are.  But most of all be childlike...and listen.  You might just hear a song, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment