cutest blog on the block

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Mosquito Vignettes - Kenya Post no.2

Mbu is the KiSwahili word for mosquito.  I think the size of the word fits the little guys so much better.  I just wonder how it is that these little tiny guys could capture such a big part of my experience in Kenya before, during and after the trip.

Vignette #1 - Infectious Disease FUN (prologue)
Before we went on the trip we had a fun morning at the infectious disease center.  Our attentive MD spent a copious amount of time educating us on all the ways we could die (or become very ill) in Kenya and how to prevent it.  As you well know, the mosquito was a big part of our education.  Bless those little blood sucking buggers - they carry everything! If that wasn't scary enough, our doc singled me out of the group and exclaimed "YOU!  I've seen your allergies.  You're getting an epi pen!"

I felt so vulnerable, and was tempted to be afraid (okay, and was afraid) for a short time until I realized a little truth.  My vulnerability can point me in two different ways:  fear or faith.  I can let the mosquito and all the diseases he could carry point me to how tiny I am, or I can let it show me how incredibly BIG our God is in comparison.  ...I think I need to start a tally chart of how many times Abba's perfect Love casts out my fear.

Mosquito Vignette #2 - The Power of Temptation & the Mosquito Ninja
So...my after shower Bath and Body Works style lotion while in Kenya looked a little more like this:


One night while slathering it on, grateful my sinus cavities were closed so I didn't have to endure the ...umm...scent, I noticed two little red spots on my arm.  I had been bitten unaware.  The mbu kidogo (little mosquitos) are ninjas!

I did a little research just now and was disturbed to find that it's only the female mosquito who does the biting.  She needs to feed each time she lays eggs.  I learned that when she bites, her tiny, sharp little needle proboscis goes into your skin releasing mosquito saliva - which contains anticoagulants (a girl's gotta do some cooking before she has a good meal, right?).

The point is - we don't feel her bite.  We might not even notice she's there until the itching begins long after she leaves.

Isn't that so much like the effects of temptation and self serving, mind numbing, feel good idolatry?  We walk into a situation and get distracted.  We don't feel the pain while it's happening.  The proboscis that sucks our lifeblood goes in unnoticed....and the damage is done before we are aware.

"Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction."  1 Timothy 6:9

Mosquito Vignette #3 - The Mosquito Clap (something fun!)

Here's a fun clap the students taught us!  Thanks Cassie for the video!

"Mosquito!  Bzzzzzz!  Catch it!  Confuse it!  (clap) Kill it!"

Mosquito Vignette#4 - A Tale of Two Nets (epilogue) 
Even after the trip, insights are rolling in.  I was sharing about what it was like to sleep under a mosquito net with a somewhat rebellious teen when this one occurred to me. (Thanks Holy Spirit - you really do ROCK and ROLL!)

My first mosquito net experience was amazing.  The net on our beds was fluffy white and it felt like I was sleeping in a cloud each night that first week.  I was protected and I enjoyed the experience.  When we got to Wachara, the nets weren't white.  They were green; and I had to quickly dismiss the feeling of being buried alive.  It was a mind training thing.

Both nets were protective.  The only difference was in how I looked at them.

I asked my young friend if she thought her parents were trying to protect her when they set limits?  (phew!  She did.)  Then I asked her:  Do you feel safe, protected, cherished as you are placed on top of a cloud?  ... or sometimes do you feel like you are being buried alive?

She was quick to answer - you can guess her response. 

I pointed out to her that both nets were lovingly provided for our protection.  
Same nets.  Different color.

I loved the look on her face when she figured out that the loving discipline from parents (and our Heavenly Father) feels so much better when we choose to change our perspective.

Stern discipline awaits anyone who leaves the path;
    the one who hates correction will die.  Proverbs 15:10

Whoever fears the Lord has a secure fortress,
    and for their children it will be a refuge.  Proverbs 14:26

______

note:  I love how each of these vignettes have the theme of perspective woven throughout them - even #3!  It's all part of the renewing of our minds - something I really need to work on these days.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.  James 1:2-4

No comments:

Post a Comment