cutest blog on the block

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Purposeful Preparing for the Future - Kenya Post no. 3


Six months ago I decided that my word for 2014 was going to be "purposeful".  I tend to live in my head a lot, thinking about doing things, but not actually doing them, or planning it out.  When I saw this book, I knew it would be a good tool to help keep me focused.  I've made goals so far in these categories:  Spiritual, Music, Knitting, Health&Fitness, and Professional.  Five goals for each category.  For the most part, all 25 of my goals can be considered "SMART" goals.  A couple sound like they'd fit better on a bucket list, but each is still Specific and Measurable, Attainable and Realistic.  Most have a Time limit.

The Need for Self-Discipline
Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last, but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like someone running aimlessly; I do not fight like a boxer beating the air.  No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.  1 Corinthians 9:24-27

What does this have to do with Kenya you ask?  Yes, all the best runners come from Kenya.  We saw the mountains where they train.  We saw WAY more people walking and riding bicycles to where they needed to go than riding in or haphazardly on motorized vehicles.  But that's not it.


  

Part of my depression in coming back has been because of my lack of focus.  For months I was driven in preparations for the trip:  praying, raising funds, packing, practicing songs, praying, doing research, seeking wisdom (praying), re-packing, finding someone to care for the animals, studying, putting lesson plans together, gathering materials, packing...again, and laying it all in God's hands (aka...praying).  At the same time all that was going on, I was dealing with the aftermath of surviving a battle between my car and a telephone pole (neither won) and trying to come out ahead in the most challenging (yet delightful) school year ever.    

During the trip, Pastor Benard kept true to his promise "When you get here (to Kenya), I work you like donkeys!"  (I love that he pronounced donkey just like Shrek.)   My favorite example of that is when he told us on a Thursday:  "Saturday there is going to be an all day church conference.  The topic is going to be 'Christian Living'.  You are going to be the speakers."  

....We hadn't exactly prepared for that.  (But it was ASTOUNDING to look back on that day and see how God, in his perfect and loving wisdom, had prepared us for the task.  Honestly, our whole trip was like that.  I can't think of a single day where I didn't cry out to Abba "Tag!!! You're it!"

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.   2 Corinthians 12:9-10

Fully relying on His strength and trusting that He had prepared us for everything we hadn't prepared for didn't actually prepare me for landing back in Charlotte - I had nothing to do. The trip was over.  School won't be in full swing until mid August. 

Yeah, but what does that have to do with Kenya?  It's okay to ask that again - Because it isn't about me. :) 

Let me tell you about the Children in the "upper" grades who go to school Monday through Friday and then come back to school - on Saturday.  Every Saturday.  Classes 4 through 8 spend an extra day a week studying so that they can do well on their exams.  The score they get on their exams will determine if they get accepted to a good Secondary School.  (High School)

In Kenya, school is not free.  Secondary schools are a lot like Universities here in America.  Students have to apply, be accepted, board, and pay tuition.

Remember the video of the mosquito clap?   I was privileged to take down prayer requests from children in that class.  If I remember correctly, class 4 contains 67 students. (in one classroom).   A couple copied down the words to the song I taught them (my American accent was SO confusing to them).  A few sweetly asked for prayer for their director and their teachers.  Some asked for prayer for siblings.  A couple even asked for prayer for safe travels for us.  But, MOST of them asked for prayer to do well on their exams.  If they do well enough, maybe - just maybe they'll be chosen for a scholarship. 


Currently, for students in the care of Benard's Vision School, schooling and protection, and daily nutrition ends the day they finish Class 8.  

Benard hopes to add a High School to campus so these precious children can have hope and purpose.  So they can realize their dreams.  So they can have a place to be instead of on their own after 8th grade.  But right now there isn't one.

Education is their key.  (If I'm this lost over being unfocused for the few weeks of Summer emptiness when the school year is over...what must the 8th grade graduates be feeling right now?) 

We met one of the boys who graduated 8th grade last year on the streets.  Benard recognized him, honked the horn and called him over to the vehicle.  He didn't have the money to continue on.  He was a very smart boy who did well on his exams.  He was accepted into a very good High School, but he couldn't afford the tuition.  So there he was, without purpose....roaming the streets.

In Wachara, the church there had very few men.  The men from those generations had died from AIDS, and some who are left, are dying from alcoholism, and general loss of hope.  There are so many women who are taking care of their children alone.  The men are gone.  There are a few married couples.  While driving in one area, Benard pointed to a large grouping of mud homes.  "These homes...in EACH of these homes, someone has died.  We estimated that at least 70% of the adult church members were widows.  

I had the fearful privilege of leading (?) the woman's small group discussion during the All Day Christian Living Conference in Wachara.  These ladies were taking care of children alone.  Their husbands were dead or absent.  They have no way of providing for their children.  They struggle to find food.  Some of the ladies make sisal rope.  When they get a dozen lengths of rope made, they walk several hours to the nearest market and try to sell them. 

Education is freedom.  When the support of my husband disappeared, I had an education to fall back on.  I had a source of income.  Benard has a heart for the girls in Wachara.  He does not want to see the cycle repeated in their generation.  They need a dorm so they can be safe after school instead of walking home for 3 or 4 hours each night...sometimes in the dark.   They also need a High School program there.
  

Pray for these precious children, for the widows.  Pray that they will have a relationship with Abba where they can say to him "Tag!  You're it!  I need you." when they have no clue what to do next.  Pray they will develop a relationship with Jesus, take comfort in His presence and glean HOPE from His promises.  Please also pray for a place to be prepared that will provide shelter and purposeful preparation for independent living including Secondary School so they can help make Kenya a better place...and change the world. 

(photos courtesy of Cassie Mumford - isn't she the best?!)

Check this out!  Jeff Mullis set up a place at You Caring dot com so you can help!  CLICK HERE


No comments:

Post a Comment