cutest blog on the block

Monday, July 1, 2013

Spilling the Beans



I confess that I didn't remember that this hurricane lamp globe was bottomless.  So, therefore, when I lifted the globe, I accidentally spilled the beans lentils.  It's hard to tell from the before picture how yellow the lentils had become in just a year's time.  They needed to be stirred, shaken up and re-positioned so that the greener lentils in the center could be exposed and the yellowed ones removed or replaced or moved to a place of lesser consequence.   I have been awkward most of my life, so this doesn't come as a surprise to some; and thankfully, I've never been one to cry over spilled milk, beans, or lentils.

But, confessions have been a different story.  Hidden in shame and fear (neither of which come from our Abba), sins un-confessed have a way of yellowing our hearts and hiding the life that longs to emerge.

I recently "spilled the beans" to a friend.  It was the most glorious thing.  I found life, and direction in being honest and forthcoming with  my struggle.  It wasn't an easy struggle to admit to.  Shame tempted me to keep it in. (I'm SO glad that Love's temptation for freedom was even greater!)

When it came time to stir the lentils encased in the other globe, I used a dustpan to catch the little buggers, keeping them from scattering to the floor and getting all sort of things entangled within. (cat hair, dust, cat hair...)   

...which reminds me that boundaries, like dust pans, are good.  We need to be careful and make sure that we're safe with the person we are confessing to.  

James  5:15  Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.  The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.

Have you cultivated a relationship where it's safe to spill your beans?

No comments:

Post a Comment