cutest blog on the block

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Grace to be Thankful More

The sheer knowledge of the comforting presence of the Holy Spirit during a trial is reason enough to be thankful specifically for that trial.

So many times I'm moved to thank God when I receive something I wanted.  Though, I'm often struck at how the gift is more important to me than the giver....and it now appears the god I'm thanking is actually my idol.  

I'm guilty of often thanking the "little g" god of good weather for my special event, thanking the "little g" god of everything working out so that I can stay in my comfort zone, and even of shouting thanks to the "little g" god who finds lost keys.

(Edit:  thought-"little g" god = treating Abba as if he were my geni)

Colossians 3:15-17
And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Verse 15:  be thankful for the peace Abba gives us.  

Where is the God of all peace when I am looking for my keys (again)?  

Where is my trust in El Shaddai, the all powerful when I am worrying about the weather?  

Where is Emmanuel, God with us, when I need comfort in the midst of uncertain times?  

Where is my faith in my Creator, the God of order who has assured each of us that He has a plan? (a good one, too!)

Abba, give me a thankful heart.  Renew a right Spirit in me.  I'm sorry for how I have chosen not to be holy and set apart because my comfort and my desires were more important to me than your love, provision, and presence in the midst of unmet longings.

I don't want to be one of those who models after the Israelites in the days when there was no king in the land and everyone did what was right in their own eyes.

I SO long to be able to sing with conviction the verse from the hymn "'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus"

"Yes I've learned to trust in Jesus
Just from sin and self to cease
Just from Jesus simply taking
Life and rest, and joy and peace.

..,Jesus, Jesus precious Jesus
Oh for grace to trust Him more."

So, what am I grateful for this Thanksgiving?  

Grace.  It's really all I have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment