cutest blog on the block

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Intervention

Hi y'all.  My name is Rebecca; and I'm addicted.  It's been 9 hours and 39 minutes since I last posted on social media. (This doesn't count...I hope)

(even my cat is hooked...)

I tried to spend just one single day without posting for each of the last several days.  Not even a possibly broken hand could keep me from a single one handed awkwardly typed if-I-thought-it-I-shared-it post.  

Yesterday morning, I purposed in my heart to spend only 7 minutes on facebook.  It took 3 times that just to get through my newsfeed before I realized my time had been up.  I had spent that time sharing everything from funny/sarcastic memes, to autism and worldwide slavery awareness, and spiritually encouraging/convicting quotes.  All good things, right??   Within just 30 minutes of beginning my day I was already a failure.  

Fast forward to 12 hours and possibly a score (that's 20 for those of y'all who weren't around in Libcoln's day)... or maybe two scores of posts.  I lost count.

My sassiest of friends appears online.  (I love her so!)  We message back and forth privately while bantering with another friend or two publicly about a meme; and allthewhile - please say that's one fun long word like nonetheless - I love words like that!!

Ahem.  Sorry.  "Squirrel!" 

...allthewhile I'm researching how to disable my account (and sending an email, and surfing the web for natural remedies, and watching videos on you tube...) you get the picture.  

I realize I can't quit alone.  Not even for a voluntary fast.  My sweet, sassy, sister graciously agreed to be the keeper of my password for a month.  At 9:29 pm I logged off.  

By 9:36 I was sweating, pacing, and anxious.  Who knew there would be withdrawal symptoms for facebook?!?

Maybe she hadn't changed the password yet!  I can get one more fix! 

I know!  I'll email her (or text even!) and ask her to post on my behalf!  Yeah!  That's not the same thing.  Right?

It gets worse.  I don't email her, but by 9:43pm I text a friend.  I'm miserable.  

Hebrews 12:11-13
For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.
 Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed.

The rest of the evening is a blur.  I did some research online, made some kale chips, rejoiced at finally getting the cooking time down pat, and made a second batch.  At some point I fell asleep.  

3:11am:  my eyes open suddenly and there's a panic in my heart.  I know!!!  I can log in and request a password reset!!   

Have you ever wanted to ask yourself "Do you hear what you are thinking?!?  Are you crazy?!?"  But that would lead to having a conversation with myself and then there would be an affirmative answer to the latter question-a question that we'd all prefer to remain unanswered.  

Thankfully I resisted both the conversation and the password reset.  

My sweet, sassy, sister (and now apparently sponsor) friend will remain the keeper of my (Precioussss) facebook password. 

...and I will diminish and go into the West, and remain Lady Galadriel/Abba's Child. 

Oh how I pray to diminish.  

No comments:

Post a Comment