cutest blog on the block

Monday, February 10, 2014

Pit Vipers


Psalms 103:1-5

 Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!
 Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
 who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
 who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
 who satisfies you with good
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.


I was floored about the part that says "He redeemed my life from the pit."  I get that my friend shared this Psalm with me to remind me of the powerful weapon that Praise can be when battling our fears.




I have seen "the pit" occasionally interpreted figuratively in response to depression or dark times in our lives.  I think it literally talks about a Joseph like experience.  But the image of me stepping out of a badly damaged rental car at the bottom of a muddy ravine and being found and comforted within *seconds* of the accident comes strongly and quickly to my mind.  I'm so grateful for the friend who called to me from the top of the hill, comforted me, and cared for my needs.  I'm grateful for his wife who was a very present help in my troubled day; and also for the EMS team who helped me navigate my way up a very steep, muddy, leaf covered slope (pit) by being my balance, finding the best route, and giving my shaking self something solid to lean on.  

The picture above is my pole.  The one I knocked over.  The one that signaled to my friend that a car was hidden below the hillside.  I love that pole.  No, really.  It's an Ebeneezer to the love and provision God showed me last Monday morning.

This morning on my way to church, I passed by a hundred other poles.  Even though I avoided driving by my pole in an effort to pretend I wasn't having anxiety about the accident, I was still anxious.   These other poles didn't bring up any warm fuzzy feelings.  Instead, each one seemed to be threatening to jump out in front of me.  The trees and road signs, like true bullies, joined in the taunt.  I was anxious, tense, and it made my mere bumps and bruises hurt that much more.  

I fantasized about how "cool" it would be if I left for work at 5 a.m. *on foot* under the guise of fitness - just so I could avoid having to drive.  I determined in my heart not to go anywhere in a car unless I absolutely had to.  In doing those things, I was, in effect, throwing down the cross of vulnerability and trust that Jesus gives me to bear, and picking up the slimy black blanket of fear.  I had decided that safety is more important than trust, that I needed to avoid any and all situations which might possibly cause me to feel anxious, and  that above all else, I was *entitled* to being comfortable.

Our sermon text this morning was on a section of Matthew 10.

Matthew 10:34-39
"Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth.  I have not come to bring peace, but a sword.  For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law.  And a person's enemies will be those of his own household.  Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.  And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

Jesus is saying here that our family, something that is GOOD, can be a barrier to spreading the Great News when we put them in front of Him. Our lives, careers, family, can all be idols that keep us from taking the relational risks that are required of all believers.  I'm thinking right now that fear can also be a barrier.  


1 John 4:18

There is no fear in love.  But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment.  The one who fears is not made perfect in love.

oh...yeah that.

So why am I holding onto the slimy black blanket of fear in order to idolize safety, comfort, and freedom from the temptation to be anxious?! (Rhetorical)  

2 Corinthians 10:5 

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

yeah...that. :)  Isn't following Jesus and being blanketed in the love that comes with bearing his cross SO much better than black slimy fear?  Remind me of that if you see me tempted to be afraid again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment