cutest blog on the block

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Why Did The Turkey Cross The Road?


While driving home from a sweet and somewhat risky evening of sistership ('cause fellowship is just for the guys, right?)  a headstrong lone turkey crosses the two (or 3?) lane highway - right. in. front. of me.  She looked so graceful and confident, for a turkey.  The thing that stood out like a broomstick handle on a feather duster was her incredibly straight neck.  Her little pea-head aimed at her destination and she courageously strode to the other side of the road.  

I watched the scene as if it were in slow motion, and am still not sure how my little bug of a car didn't even come close to hitting her.  

The images burned in my brain and I was awestruck.  My mind's facebook feed immediately posted "Why did the turkey cross the road?  #noreally #HWYinsertnumberhere #turkeyshavesurprisinglylongnecks  

It wasn't until after arriving at my destination that I physically posted to facebook, and even later when I realized there really was an answer to the age old question!

I KNOW WHY THE TURKEY CROSSED THE ROAD!!!!

10 But Moses said to the Lord, “Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either in the past or since you have spoken to your servant, but I am slow of speech and of tongue.” 11 Then the Lord said to him, “Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him mute, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the Lord? 
12 Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak.”   

(granted, Moses continued to be a chicken and Abba gave in by allowing Aaron to speak to the people...)

But then we have Esther's story in chapter 4 of her namesake book:  

12 And they told Mordecai what Esther had said. 13 Then Mordecai told them to reply to Esther, “Do not think to yourself that in the king's palace you will escape any more than all the other Jews. 14 For if you keep silent at this time, relief and deliverance will rise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish. And who knows whether you have not come to the kingdom for such a time as this?” 15 Then Esther told them to reply to Mordecai, 16 “Go, gather all the Jews to be found in Susa, and hold a fast on my behalf, and do not eat or drink for three days, night or day. I and my young women will also fast as you do. Then I will go to the king, though it is against the law, and if I perish, I perish.” 

When I grow up, I want to be like Esther and that sweet turkey who stuck her neck out and crossed the road instead of being like Moses who, after seeing God's 'blow your mind' amazing-ness FIRST HAND, thinks only of his own inadequacies.

Nor do I want to be like the disciples who were in a boat with the hands that created the ENTIRE EARTH fearing for their lives in the midst of a storm.

...but if I'm honest, I'm more like them than I want to be.

#grateful for all the Esthers, Moses's, Peters and Thomas's



No comments:

Post a Comment