cutest blog on the block

Saturday, May 10, 2014

For Mom, "moms" , and window washers.


I'm one who has avoided church on Mother's Day often.  Especially during the miscarriage years.  One year I risked the emotion of going.  The children were instructed to give a carnation to their mother.  One sweet little girl from my Sunday School class brought me a flower, and then another little guy came running up with a smashing bear hug (I was glad he was little, or I might have ended up flat on my back).  

I'm not a mother, but I play one every time I love a child with my time. 

So I'm going to be in Church on Sunday.  Two of "my" children are getting baptized, and the church is going to commission our trip to Kenya where we get the privilege of being Jesus with skin to hundreds of orphans by loving these precious, valuable treasures with our time and presence.  I'll cry either during or afterwards, and I'll be tempted to feel despair when I walk into the empty bedroom I have waiting for a child to foster or adopt.  But hopefully I'll rest in the arms of my First Love and in the knowledge that He is good.



PS - on a recent field trip we happened upon a diver who was washing windows.  The children were convinced he was going to be eaten by the shark in that tank and were cheering and applauding.  Knowing there was no danger, I marveled at how these wee ones were essentially applauding a simple chore - washing windows; and I asked where are the cheers when I wash the windows?  :-)

Happy Mother's Day to all the window washers, time givers, and to those like me who wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment