cutest blog on the block

Friday, March 21, 2014

Of Cabbages and Kings - Come Walk With Me!

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
"To talk of many things:
Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--
Of cabbages--and kings--
And why the sea is boiling hot--
And whether pigs have wings."
~Lewis Carroll


I find this excerpt from "The Walrus and The Carpenter", a poem in Lewis Carroll's book about Alice in Wonderland, oddly appropriate to frame my story.   It actually makes my heart still with wonder at the symbolism of it all.

I first felt the tug of orphan care in the early 90's - over 20 years ago.  (Surely we've been in a time warp or *something*??)  I was at The Chapel listening to a presentation about an orphanage in Moldova.  It wasn't a particularly well put together presentation (no offense meant), but I was *enraptured*.  The world around me completely melted away.  I can still remember tangibly the intensity of the pull.  I can see where I was sitting when I felt it; and my heart still aches from the white hot, searing confusion of disappointment when cabbage became a door slammed on my heart.

I should explain.  I have a weird asthma trigger.  The smell of cooking cabbage can send my bronchial passages into spasms, faster than a rabbit with a pocket watch runs when he's late.

Apparently orphans in Moldova eat a lot of cabbage.  The movie of my future life working in an orphanage melted while it was still in the projector.

I tucked away the calling in the same place I keep my questions about all things Mysterious, in a safe place where I can pull them out before the Throne at the appointed time.  Some of my questions like "What were you thinking when you made the platypus??" and "Why do you allow pain and suffering?" no longer matter.  (Platypus - a great visual for reminding us not to put God in a box!)  My King has answered them in His perfect time; and I trust the cabbage conundrum will be answered as well.

I first learned about and met Pastor Benard (  http://www.benardsvision.com/ ) several years ago.  Kip and I both were moved to adopt a little girl, and that sweet place where I kept my cabbage conundrum began to smolder.  I had become a teacher and am skilled at working with children with special needs like Autism and Cerebral Palsy.  Surely there are orphans with Autism, and teachers whom I can help?

Kip seemed to really come alive when we prayed for Mary in the coming months. I wondered if my faith about the vision I was given of him would become sight in Kenya.  I even began entertaining hopes that we could have our own children - whether adopted or born into our family.   I suppose Kip was too far gone even then. The seeds of rage and self anesthetizing behavior had already begun to take root.  What happened to Kip is definitely tucked into my "Questions to ask once I'm seated on Abba's lap" file.

"Ships and sealing wax" could be connected to my recent journey where I drove through (yes, through) a telephone/electric pole and flew down a tree filled embankment...and emerged from the car in tact.  It should have been so much worse, but it's as if Abba put a sort of sealing wax around me which kept me (and others) safe.   It was actually that same week that I first heard about an upcoming trip to some Kenyan orphanages supported by Hungry 4 Him ministry.

I still can't believe I'm about to type this next sentence:

I'm going to Kenya this summer as part of the team from Corinth!!!

Is this the calling that was apparently quashed by the cabbage conundrum? (shrug) Kenyan orphans don't appear to eat cabbage by the truckload...though there are probably other deadly things I will encounter there:  snakes, malaria, lack of western toilets to sit on....  I do love that Kenyan's appear to be somewhat gluten free unintentionally.  I will have all the necessary vaccines, and I'm going with a group.  Most importantly, I'm going with God.  He is bigger than cabbage, bigger than snakes, bigger than culture shock, and bigger than fear itself.

At this point, I don't know exactly what I'm going to be doing in June, but I am privileged to get to help somehow.  (The team is getting together with Benard in the coming week or so to fine tune planning)  I was worried that in going I might be standing in the way of being able to foster or adopt.  But an email from DSS came that clearly stated those plans are on hold for at least another few months.  I didn't think I could get a new passport in time.  It came last Saturday.  I don't know how I'm going to raise the money for the trip. (between $3,000 and $3,500 is still needed) All I know, is that I'm in Abba's all capable hand, and that I don't need to read the last chapter of my story to keep moving forward through the chapter that I'm currently in.

I have to pinch myself at each step of the way.  I really get to go!

Don't you love that we serve a God who makes pigs with wings??  :D  Check out this fun song that is fast becoming the banner I'm excited to carry into the midst of the unknown.



PS.  If you'd like to help financially - I'm available for babysitting, knitting lessons, tutoring, and house/pet sitting.  It'd be especially cool if you want to bless a single mom with a night out.  I'll watch the children. Checks can be made out to Corinth Reformed Church with "Kenya Trip" on the memo line.

Prayers for our planning time and upcoming preparations, against spiritual attack, for provision not to be blocked, and for peace in the midst of the adventure of the unknown are most definitely coveted and deeply appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment